Most all blog posts contain a link, an image, a YouTube video, etc. You can be pretty certain that at some point your reader will click on a link that will take them to a “404 Not Found” error page. If this happens, you are likely to irritate your reader if not loose them all together because they are off to another post or even worst someone else’s blog.
You could check your links manually but is that the most productive use of your time? Just this week this plugin notified me that I had 3 broken links. One of my posts had an error with the picture URL, one had a web address that was timing out and the other was an affiliate link that was no longer active because the affiliate had switched their support company. This meant buried in my blog I had 3 errors that I didn’t have to go looking for…instead I was notified of the errors so I could quickly get them fixed.
How great is it to have a plugin that will check your posts and pages looking for broken links? And, better yet a plugin that notifies you when it finds a problem.
WordPress Broken Link Checker Features
- Monitors links in your posts, pages, comments, the blogroll, and custom fields (optional).
- Detects links that don’t work, missing images, deleted YouTube videos, redirects and other problems.
- Notifies you either via the Dashboard or by email of broken links.
- Makes broken links display differently in posts (optional).
- Prevents search engines from following broken links (optional).
- You can search and filter links by URL, anchor text and so on.
- Links can be edited directly from the plugin’s page, without manually updating each post.
- Highly configurable.
- New and modified entries are checked ASAP.
- Lets you edit all instances of a specific link at once.
- Gives you a list of all links ever posted on your site, with the ability to search and filter it.
- Lets you apply custom CSS styles to broken and removed links.
As I said in the beginning of this post….WordPress Broken Link Checker is one of my favorite plugins and I think you can now see why.